Monday, August 9, 2010

Only one week left!

Last time I wrote I was overwhelmed and bogged down by my English class and moving out of my apartment, but now that I'm back home and only one week from departure, I am starting to get nervous...

Ingrid (who I will call by the nickname I gave her, Ingy boo) called my cell phone from skype on Friday to talk about trip preparations. Not only was I unbelievably excited to talk to her, but I was incredibly relieved. Her computer has officially died and she has had no way of contacting me as I had none of her numbers in Guadeloupe. Fortunately, she remembered my cell phone number and was able to use a friend's computer! So I now officially have her, her mom's, her stepdad's, and her fixe (home phone) phone numbers in Guadeloupe. I will not be traveling with a cell phone so my only way of contacting in case of flight delays or emergencies is by skype. Thank god for technology! Im now much relieved that I have this figured out! This was only one small part of my worries though. Today I ran so many errands to get things done, only to realize I have just as many more to do tomorrow!

What else did I manage today? I bought (after SEVERAL unsuccessful attempts) €300. What a fiasco that was! I first went to my credit union where I was told it would take 10 days for them to get the currency for me! 10 days!?! It only has to come from Milwaukee! Ayaa! So then the lady tells me to try M&I Bank, which is where they get the currency from. The lady at M&I, after yelling at me about having to be a member of the bank (how am I supposed to know, I just came here cause the lady at MY bank told me to come here!?!) tells me that my only option would be to go to their downtown headquarters. Downtown as in Milwaukee, not Racine. Umm, no thanks! Feeling defeated, I returned home.

About 10 minutes after I get home, I remember that when I went to Canada, my dad and I were able to directly buy the currency from Johnson Bank, where my parents are members. So then I dragged my dad there (since you have to be a member to buy the currency) and after about 30 minutes, we successfully left with my being $425 in the hole and only €300 in my wallet. Lovely exchange rate...

So after that fiasco, it was on to my other worries. What to do with my clarinet while Im in the 100+ degree weather in Guadeloupe (with no air-conditioning) and high humidity? A clarinet friend of mine recommended getting some bore oil and oiling it before I leave to protect it from the moisture. Problem solved. (I hope).

Also went to the insurance company to expand my personal property insurance while Im abroad and insure my clarinet and computer. Another check on the list!

Lastly, I went to my bank, thinking I would buy a couple hundred dollars in traveller's checks in order to have enough to pay for a couple months rent. Well, the bank doesn't sell them anymore and I guess they are not as widely accepted, so, I guess I am just going to have to use my bank cards if I need to withdraw that much (although hopefully that won't happen). aya!

So now I am basically in freak out mode. Oh, and I haven't started packing yet. Heh. It'll get done...

Well, so long for now folks!

Paix,
Doog

2 comments:

  1. Ah man, you're a week a head of me...soon I'm going to start freaking out...O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, be prepared! It will hit you hard and fast. Last week this time I was like "it's still far enough away..." and now I am scrambling to get things done...

    ReplyDelete